Thursday, March 30, 2006

Time

Time is such an interesting concept. It seems that sometimes we act as if we have control over it. We will do things such as set the clocks up an hour or "fall back" depending on the time of year. With the unexpected passing of my wife's grandfather I am really reminded of the fact that we may act like we have some kind of say--but in the end time belongs only to the One that is greater than all space and time.

I must tell you---I love to sit in the café and talk with those around. It is such an amazing thing to be part of a conversation that will roll on for hours. In Lisboa that conversation can be had for as little as .50 or so! There are other times, however, that I really do not want to join the conversation. I suppose that is my overwhelming feeling this week. Sometimes it is much more enjoyable to simply be still. There are times that watching and listening can be so rewarding. Everyone in the café seems to handle the time issue differently. There are those that stand at the bar and quickly down the bica so that they can rush off to the next appointment, there are those sitting for hours as if time is not an issue, there are those soaking up conversation as if it may be their last opportunity, and then there are those that watch to see what everyone else is doing.

The café is wonderful. The "feel"--The "smell"--The "look"--The way that time can be a non-issue....even if just for a little bit :-)

Well, I must hurry back to work now. Have a great week everyone.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

everytime I come here to check it out the site just looks cooler and cooler.

12:26 AM

 
Blogger Brittany said...

I was in complete suspicion as to your identity until I saw your email address. It was great to meet you, too, at the meeting! You guys are really awesome and I loved hearing your passion for the people of Portugal! I still laugh thinking back to the meal we shared with the Reynolds toward the end of the week - too bad we didn't have more opportunities to talk together.

Maybe next time ...

9:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home